Amazon.com

Disclaimer

All the tips/hints/fixes/other information posted here are at your own risk. Some of the steps here could result in damage to your computer. For example, using a Windows registry editor like RegEdit could result in unintended serious changes that may be difficult or impossible to reverse. Backups are always encouraged.

15 April 2009

Reset Networking to (Possibly) Speed Up WiFi + Ethernet!

I noticed reconnecting to a wireless network after waking my Vista laptop from sleep was delayed. Also, running Internet speed tests showed slower rates, both over WiFi and even connected via Ethernet cable. I had been adjusting cabling and my router, so I had thought the problem was in that.

In the end, resetting networking components in Windows fixed all the problems. I gained 3000 Kbps in speed to match the cable Internet service I pay for. If you are having similar problems, try running the following Netsh commands from an elevated command prompt and then restart your PC:
  1. netsh winsock reset
  2. netsh int ipv4 reset
  3. netsh int reset all

No comments:

Post a Comment